Saturday, May 10, 2008

One of the Best Things about Australia

I have already raved about the greatness of Sydney, but there has been a little bit of Heaven that has been overlooked until now:

Apples. Not just any apples, mind you -- Pink Lady Apples.

Now I grew up in Texas, and my parents, God bless them, did as well. So as a kid, all I ever knew was Washington Red Delicious Apples. If you ever want your children to grow up not liking apples -- feed them Washington Red Delicious Apples. They are terrible -- mealy and tasting like cardboard, with an even worse after-taste.

However, when I moved to Detroit, and later to Toronto, I began to understand why the apple is the king of fruit. Crisp and sweet, the really are hard to beat, and there is such a HUGE variety. Now local apples in season top the list, no matter where I am, but on a regular basis the apple of choice is Pink Lady.

In North America, they can be hard to come by and often rather expensive, but here in Australia, they are the local apple. Yup, grown right here in Australia and New Zealand, I can have one or two a day! Life is good! (it really is the little things, isn't it?)

As for the Australian Word of the Day: "Spot On" meaning a variety of things -- right on! Perfect! Hits the mark! Or some thing of the sort. It is a very common term here.

No comments: