Thursday, July 10, 2008

Why Priesthood?

As many of you know, I am one of the managers of the Vocations Expo at WYD. The expo began in Toronto, offering pilgrims an opportunity to explore the various "vehicles" or means by which they can live their recently renewed faith. It is a wonderful part of WYD -- showcasing some of the very best aspects of ministry in the Church. While there are volunteer organizations present for married and single folks, the focus is on the priesthood and religious life.

As a result of my role with the Expo, I have been asked on a few occasions (and I am sure there will be more), why I joined a religious community and what called me to be a priest? So I thought I would briefly share my thoughts to this answer:

I think anyone who asks this question must first answer another question: "by what means can we as society address the suffering in the world today?" Of course, there are as many answers to this question as there are afflictions; however, I believe the fundamental answer to this question is actually quite difficult. Anyone who as been in the service of others understands that at some point, it is up to the person in need to make a choice to accept help or not. I learned this teaching in inner city schools in the US. There comes a point where I did everything I could do, leaving the ability to overcome/succeed (or not) in the mind of the student. Ultimately, an obstacle or suffering requires a conscious decision to move beyond it.

What I learned through my own experiences is that the decision to overcome our pain is usually too difficult without a belief that there is something bigger than ourselves who will be there to bear the burden when we cannot. Quite simply, this is why I decided to become a priest -- to bear witness to God -- that there is someone big enough to bear all of our burdens. The priesthood provides my life and witness with a context; with an environment that allows God to be heard. Over the years, I have found that we people most often need in this world is hope. Yes, there are many temporal needs, and the Church and many other organizations do amazing work tending to those needs; but it is the unseen needs of people that must also be addressed. In my students, I saw many needs that could be met by so many groups, but their real needs concerned meaning, love, belonging, hope -- all the things that can be addressed only when we recognize that all these things are of God and received by us as a gift.

The priesthood is not for the faint-hearted. I have been exposed to some of the very hardest aspects of society, but I have also witnessed some of the greatest joys. In the average day, I span the range of human emotions and of life -- baptisms to death; marriage to illness and everything in between. It is a life based in relationship, which is one of the reasons I choose to live my priesthood through the Basilian Fathers. Quite simply, my confreres keep me accountable to myself and to God. They provide me the support I need to do what God is calling me to do. They also challenge and encourage me to step out of my comfort zone, allowing me to grow with God and with the people I serve. In short, they are family and I am supremely grateful for their presence in my life.

At the end of the day, I have been blessed with opportuties to live and serve in places and with people I never dreamed possible. Through my priesthood with the Basilians, I have found joy and serenity, among so many other gifts. Of course, I believe this is what happens when any of us respond authentically to our call in life --whether it be priesthood or any other form of life. Let us pray for everyone who comes to WYD -- that they may not only experience the power of the Holy Spirit, but also that their path in life be illuminated according to God's will.

Blessings and G'Day!

No comments: