Thursday, July 3, 2008

Prayers that Lead to Teachable Moments

Well, it is official folks -- WYD is now in operational mode. We had the blessing and dedication of WYDMOC (WYD Main Operations Centre) tonight followed by a social afterwards. Many people are now working around the clock, so despite the occasion occurring at the "end of the day", it was really just a brief break before returning to work. Nevertheless, we all know this is part of the process and people are generally in good spirits, though noticeably tired. Despite the exhaustion, it is also getting exciting as pilgrims are starting to arrive on the streets and in our offices. The volunteer pool is growing rapidly with every passing day and their energy is a welcome relief.

What has struck me in all this is the role of the Religious and clergy on staff. I spent most of my night tonight giving hugs, offering blessings, telling jokes and doing a lot of listening. In fact, I find much of my day flows in the same manner. Email is now used as much for official business as it is to send a brief hello and reminder of prayer to a particular person. In every instance so far, I receive a reply with a heart-felt thank you. Many of the staff have commented during these conversations how much they appreciate working with so many Religious and clergy. For some, it is their first experience (some in fact, are not Catholic at all) and so there are lots of questions and needs for explanations. Though none of this is on my task list for the day, I believe it is the most important work I can do here.

In the end, I think this will be a big learning for me. Just over a year ago, I interviewed Andrew, Glenn and José just before their final vows. I asked them what they learned during their years of formation. Andrew's comment was one I have not forgotten: "that people really demand very little; that they ask for very little." Working at WYD has confirmed that statement for me. Even with so many pressures, needs and deadlines -- the true needs of the staff here are very few. The needs to do have are, in fact, quite simple, though oh so important. There is no doubt that WYD is a teachable moment -- not just for the pilgrims, but for all of us.

I ask that you please keep all of us in your prayers -- it is getting pretty crazy around here! Blessings and G'Day.

No comments: