Thursday, July 3, 2008

Blessed Frassati, Pray for Us!

Yesterday, I joined a few members of the WYD staff, along with just about every Australian media company in Sydney, to receive the body of Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati to St. Benedict's before he is moved the the Cathedral for WYD. Frassati, as many of you know, is a saint near and dear to my heart because of his patronage to the Basilian Scholasticate and also because of the role model he is for me. He lived to the young age of 24 in Turin, Italy, suffering terribly before his tragic death. Yet is it not his death, rather his life that is so extraordinary -- he lived it fully, running, mountain climbing and enjoying the company of friends, food and drink. Most striking of all, was his deep love for the poor and the Eucharist, which earned him the title, "Man of the Beatitudes."

Long before he was ever recognized in 1990 by JPII, he has been an inspiration for many young men to live more authentic lives according the Gospel. Just this past Christmas, I was in Calgary with approximately 75 young men who live in Frassati Houses across the country. We all have our heros -- for many who know -- Frassati is a hero worthy of emulating.

I wish I had a camera when he arrived. The hearse was there, they opened the doors and pulled out the casket. There was incense, candles, and being a Dominican parish, the Dominicans were in their whites and black copes. Litanies were sung and many prayers prayed. Very soon after, the media director for WYD came over and whispered that he had never seen the media so reverent -- they were awestruck by what was happening. I also, admitting that I am usually not so moved by such an event, had goosebumps. You just had to be there -- it was quite powerful.

Tonight, Morgan and I, along with one other volunteer went down to the church "after hours." There was hardly anyone i
n the church, which is exactly what we wanted. It was a chance to be with WYD; with Frassati, before it all actually gets going. The three of us just sat beside him in silence for about a half hour. There were a few others after us -- one of them being the young boy in the picture above. Knowing that I am nearing two weeks with probably very little stillness and silence, I think I could have stayed there the night. There were many prayers to be said -- for WYD and all involved, for the Basilians, and for so many friends and family. Not to be left out, a few prayers for myself -- that as I quickly approach my own final vows and ordination -- I might be able to live up to my calling; to live much like Frassati did -- in the service of others, out of love for God.

Blessed Frassati, pray for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear All,

I have never heard of Blessed Frassati - until a few days ago - on his arrival on Australia. At first, it was the casket that bore his remains that attracted my attention. Then, as I was listening to the commentator, my attention was drawn to the photos of this young man being flashed on TV.

Initially, my reaction was - oh - not another young man dying needlessly.

But - then I noticed that the photos were quite "old" - and so I stopped what I was doing - and listened intently to what was being said.

It was then that I realised the casket bore the remains of a young man - who is on the road to becoming a saint.

As a Christian - and a non-practising Catholic, I am fascinated by stories such as this - so I started googling about him - and lo and behold - I now have a better understanding of him and what he had done to be where he is now.....

I would love to be able to go and attend the activities and events of the World Youth Day - and no doubt I will be endeavouring to go and visit the casket of Blessed Frassati.

My fervent prayers and well wishes go out to all involved in the WYD 2008 - and its success!

God bless you all.

Kind regards
RODNEY DINGLE
Sydney, Australia