Friday, July 25, 2008

Recovering


By now, you have all heard that WYD is over and has been regarded as a huge success! As the city now returns to normal and the Pilgrimage to the Cathedral (the last and longest of the WYD events) now closes, the papers and press continue to talk about the events of the past week. The past few days have been filled with celebrations and prayers for the many people now very ill as they come off the adrenaline high which has been sustaining them for the past few months. I must admit that I have never been part of such an aftermath as we all went from unimaginable intensity to an absolute full stop. At the office people are closing out their files and sharing stories as the first wave of departures begins today. Even the Directors, who anticipated much more clean-up, are spending some much needed moments with their families since the "damage control" is actually quite minimal.

Morgan and I are also resurfacing -- catching up on emails and news that we have ignored for the past month. Tuesday was the first day I have had out of the office for over a month, though it wasn't until last night (finally) that my adrenaline began to slow. Now I have realized how tired I am and how much I am craving some quiet alone time.


In time, I am sure I will write and process what has been learned and favorite moments, but for now, it is time to recharge and relax a bit. Vacation and retreat time is around the corner, though it may unofficially begin as soon as this weekend. Meanwhile, I am still basking in awe at all that God has done. Even as I write this, a very cold rain is pouring down (as it has all week), in sharp contrast to the beautiful sunny, relatively warm days of World Youth Day. Lest anyone think that God doesn't have it all under control, this dramatic coincidence is hard for anyone not to notice.


Please continue to pray for the many pilgrims since their work is really just beginning. There are many stories to be shared and witnesses to bear that will require courage and faith in order to tell the tale that needs to be heard. Please also pray for the staff and their families as they re-unite after so many late nights and unending work days these past few months. Until next time, many blessings.

No comments: