Thursday, July 31, 2008

Where there is no phone and no email

The above was taken in the Blue Mountains outside of Sydney. The three peaks are named the Three Sisters.

After a week of wrapping up, writing reports, making movies, and cataloging records, our time with WYD has finally come to an end. It has been a blurry three months, especially since we started WYD just after we finished classes in Toronto and arrived as the activity was reaching its peak. Now it is time for some much needed rest and perhaps more importantly, a chance to get perspective on all we have seen and experienced. Over the last few days, there has been an endless stream of stories conveying the positive impact of WYD on the country, city, dioceses, parishes and individuals. Never could we have imagined the impact or the level of success!

These are the stories we will take with us as we travel. In my own mind, I am all too aware that one month from today, I will profess final vows with the Basilians. So these stories meet the questions in my mind: What have I learned? What are memories that I need to hold on to . . . and those I need to let go of? How does this experience integrate into my life as a Basilian and as a priest? And many more. . . No doubt the Holy Father has left me with his own words to ponder and there are other items I have wanted to read as well. However, I largely look forward to the chance to listen, pray and write. To do this, we are going where there is no phone, no email, not even a computer; so you will have to forgive the silence, but that is exactly the point!

Blessings and G'Day!

No comments: