Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Habit Version 4.0


Summers have always been an “experiment” for Basilian seminarians. Much like the Jesuit formation program, Basilian seminarians are asked to immerse themselves in a different location to work and live during the summer months. During this “experiment”, the manipulated variable is the seminarian, rather than the external circumstances, because it is the seminarian who must learn to adapt, meet the challenges and grow from the encounter.

Over the last couple of years, my summer experiments have been very different and filled with many, many unexpected challenges and graces; however, each has resulted in a wider understanding of the God, Church, people, and myself.
Perhaps one of the only constants during the last three years is what I have packed. I travel light – a laptop computer, running shoes and the typical four days worth of clothes are all I need to provide for myself and remain happy and productive. For the last three years, I have worn the off-white, long-sleeve shirt and cross that the scholastics have called a “habit”. Though not a habit in the most traditional sense, this shirt and cross is distinctive and when worn everyday. Together, they are both identifiable and make for easy travel in just about every circumstance.

However, I am not writing about clothes as travel recommendations, but for the experiment they have been. Over the last three years, I have listened to many comments about “the habit” from in and outside the community. Many have been positive and some have been negative. However, it is during the summer experiments, that I have realized the truth of their meaning. Whether I be in New York, Sydney or somewhere else, I am recognized instantly as a member of a religious community. Especially when worn in the presence of others who are wearing it, this white shirt and cross has been a useful tool in my ministry and survival in places far away from the comforts of Basilian institutions. It has also held me to a higher standard of performance, prayer, leisure and interpersonal relations.


I know that for some of you this is yet another edition of what seems to be my yearly ramble on the "habit." Some of you make shake your head laughing, but nevertheless I am bringing it up again. However, it is important to note that I do so not simply because I believe it to be worthy of discussion (that is blogworthy), but because other people believe so as well.
I have been struck time and time again during our summers away, by how many people have approached me (or another Basilian seminarian) asking what community we belonged to, or about our charism, founder, or any other question along those lines. This does not happen every now and then, but quite often – in fact, almost daily. Here in Sydney, I believe this is, in part, because most of the Religious here wear a habit. In fact, I think it is fair to say that not doing so would create a negative impression.

Make no mistake, the youth of today do not view a religious habit through the same lenses as those before them. The issues of the past were important and I understand the reason for the decisions made at the time; however, those issues are not the issues of the present -- that has become very clear during our time here.

For whatever reason, I admit that I am not encountered by the same questions about the "habit" in Toronto, perhaps because people already know the Basilians or our routines are relatively set and we do not encounter many who do not know us. In contrast, summer ministry away is always filled with many new encounters and I am always happy to be wearing something that speaks to who I am and what I am about. It simply makes everything much easier and much more engaging, and for that I am thankful.


I realize that these conclusions may not be universally applicable, and for that reason, I do not mean to impose them on anyone. You see I understand the purpose of the blog to be an opportunity for all of us to learn from the experience, because it is all of us who have made this experience possible – in any number of capacities. So my hope is that this is seen, simply, as one of the lessons learned from the "experiment".

In the end, who knows what will happen with this experiment? It is quite possible the habit will fade away into the horizon of lessons learned or it may take on a new form. In the meantime, I continue to be thankful for the witness it provides to others and to myself. Lord knows, I need all the help I can get!


Blessings and G’Day!

No comments: