Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Dangers of Multi-Tasking

Despite what most people think, I am not all that good at multi-tasking. Most people seem to think I am, and I can see why (just read a recent post about the day's activities, but my brain can only handle one thing at a time -- though I do admit to moving from one thing to the other faster than most. The events of a few days ago proves my point, and though the story about to be told is embarrassing, it has provided laughter for many people in the office for a few days now, making it officially "blog-worthy".

It was one of the days I described in detail earlier -- the type of day when everything is urgent and last-minute. Admittedly, I did it to myself -- and I should know better. Typing an email and editing/rendering a movie added to the phone call I took for some reason is a bit much. On the other end of the phone was my supervisor, in a meeting, in need of a screen shot of the latest playlist I had created at that very moment so he could discuss it. Fine, no problem. A click here, there, capture, open new email, copy, paste, and send. Done. Excellent -- now back to what I was doing.


A few minutes pass by and the sequence of events replays in my head. Did I? Noooo, I couldn't have. . . . Maybe. . . better check. . . . darn it, I did.

I have never done this. Rather than start a new email, I hit the button beside it to forward an existing email. In other words, I sent the requested information as part of an existing email already in my inbox. Upon realizing my mistake, I quickly send an email to my supervisor with the information resent in a clean email, asking him to delete the previous one. However, it was about that time that I receive a phone call from one of my colleagues who was laughing and teasing me mercilessly. I then realize that my supervisor, being as busy as I was, simply opened it, saw the information, and forwarded to the department -- without scrolling down.

So what was forwarded? Well, I have already mentioned that I have been asked to write for various sources during World Youth Day, which requires a short bio and a few pictures that bring out my personality. One of which is here and the others are equally as "fun". None are even remotely scandalous, but then again no one expects to get a series of photos (unsolicited) of a guy in their office email either. So all the ladies in the office have been teasing me about it for days -- all in good fun of course.

I now think of it a an opportunity to build a bit of community in the workplace and a lesson to be learned about the dangers of multi-tasking. We all need the laughs, most especially as things get stressed, and if a little embarrassment on my part can help the day move along for others -- so be it.

Blessings and G'Day!

No comments: